A Brief History

The Story of St. Andrew’s

816-oakes-street

816 Oakes Sreet

On September 14, 1890, twelve persons responded to the invitation of the Rev. (later Bishop) Lemuel Wells to meet for Evening Prayer and to begin a mission called St. Andrew’s. They met in Gilbert Hall, on Sixth Avenue near Pine.

On June 19, 1892, services began in a newly constructed church on Oakes Street, about a block away from Sixth Avenue. The congregation grew and thrived at that location for decades, eventually outgrowing that facility.

church-1954In 1952, an empty lot at 12th and Jackson was purchased for St. Andrew’s by generous parishioner Albert Puddicombe. Ground was broken for construction the following Spring, and on September 13, 1953, Bishop Bayne dedicated the Cameron Wing, the first stage of St. Andrew’s, which began as one large undivided room.

In 1956, Ada Webb, daughter of the former rector Dr. Frederick Webb, died and left a generous bequest which enabled the construction of the second stage of our facility: the Ada Webb room and the rooms below it, including the kitchen.

In 1968 the third stage of the facility was built, including the church nave and Puddicombe Hall below, through the capital gifts and fundraising of the congregation.

12th and Jackson in the Late 1950s

12th and Jackson in the Late 1950s

St. Andrew’s continues to serve our community through worship, education and community service. The building hosts a number of community organizations as well as many parish functions. And 10% of operating income is given away through Community Outreach.

St. Andrews from the east 1970

St. Andrews from the east 1970

For many years, St. Andrew’s Annual Parish Meetings have included discussion of the need for enlarged and accessible restrooms and an elevator between floors. In 2013, we stepped out in Faith to make this happen.

These improvements are not only for our congregation but also for all whom we serve or seek to welcome. Good stewardship continues to be a serious commitment here at St. Andrew’s, as seen in the other elements of our capital funds drive today. This is a generous and faithful congregation – thanks be to God!